Monday, July 7, 2008

Second Chemo.... Low Blood Counts

Paul and I got up this morning at 3:40 a.m. to drive to Beaumont (I had to be there at 6:00 a.m.) to have my medi-port surgically installed. We had more waiting than we would have liked (surgery didn't actually start until 8:00 a.m.... ), but it went very well. The nurse found a vein on the first try (yea!), and the port made my chemo today much, much easier.

The chemo I got today was a "short" one -- only the medication Gemzar. The oncology nurses affectionately call Gemzar "bee sting" medication. That's because as the medication goes in through a vein (without a port), your whole arm feels sore and tense like it is being stung by a bee. That is the feeling I had last Monday as the medication went through my vein. This week, as the medication went through my medi-port, I felt nothing! (Smile, Smile, Smile)

But... my oncologist said that my white blood count and my red blood count are both way too low. If I have a fever, he has mentioned putting me in a hospital. I don't think it will come to that for me, but I know he was trying to make a point with me. He succeeded.

Today he gave me medication for the red blood count and tomorrow I have to a Neulasta shot. Not a big deal in the scheme of things; we just hadn't anticipated any shots during this stage of the chemo.

But, I recognize that I have been through an emotional and physical roller coaster in the last two months. I feel whipped, and am not surprised that my body is physically responding in a similar way. My next chemo is two weeks away -- that gives me time to Rest, Eat Well, and Rest....

No comments: