Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fourth Chemo & A Family Visit

Today was my fourth chemo -- a short one. We left home just after 8:30 a.m., dropped our puppy and kids off at Paul's sister house (where they swam in her pool all morning), and then Paul and I headed to the hospital for my 11:00 oncology appointment.

We had a good talk with the oncologist. He brought up the study that questions one of the meds I'm taking. He said he knew that less than satisfactory results have been found in the study, but he believes the study focused on breast cancer patients in general. My specific cancer (triple negative) is a particularly aggressive and tricky one to treat -- he still thinks it reasonable to use the med for my treatment. I expected this would be the attitude he would take, but I appreciated that he brought up the information first. He was forthcoming about the study and about his rationale for still using the med. Needless to say, I received the chemo today and will continue to do so as we have originally planned.

Then we talked about my visit to Dr. Kathy Miller next week. He expressed his support of having another doctor's opinion, and emphasized that it didn't bother him to have me going to visit her. It was almost like he could read my mind and knew what words I needed to hear. The power of prayer? I gotta believe to some to extent... At any rate, he even asked me to ask about her about a specific medication which is her expertise. If she thinks it is a good/reasonable med for me, then he will plan to add it to my vast cocktail of drugs. He admitted that he just wasn't sure how affective this drug is for my BC and treatment.

Finally, my doc told me specifically what information Dr. Miller would need to make a good assessment of my case, and we left the hospital with complete path reports and "slides" to take to her next Wednesday.

Our meeting today was not rushed, and was a good, open exchange. Paul was able to ask questions that he has had, and I walked away feeling really good about things. My blood counts were low again (white blood count and hemoglobin). I'll get a shot tomorrow for the white blood count, and he's asked me to start taking iron supplements while I'm on chemo. The shot is not 100% necessary, but he said he'd feel better that I have a boost while traveling next week. Better safe than sorry where an infection and subsequent hospital could happen.

After my chemo, Paul and I went back to his sister's house. She and his parents had dinner for us, Liam played more pool volleyball with Karen and Paul, and then we headed home. A long day, but a good one. During my first round of chemo last year, my parents were up to stay with the kids often. That time was good bonding time for them, as our families live 7 hours apart. The same is happening with the kids and Paul's side of the family this summer. One silver lining of cancer -- improved family relationships! You really start to talk about some of the important things of life, and you make more of an effort to be together and make the best of the time together. At least, that is what I have been finding.

Cancer complicates life, but life still goes on. We leave for my parents house on Friday morning, but we still have so many practical things to take care of before then -- tomorrow I'll call around and eventually get two new tires put on our van.... end of the month is coming, which means I'll spend time paying bills.... we have a window being replaced in the entry of our home on Thursday... Shane has an orthodontist visit on Thursday, Tyler has a follow up to his wisdom teeth surgery early Friday morning.... Paul (and someone else?) needs to run up to our cottage in Manistee before the weekend (long story)....

Life does not stop for chemo or for cancer. How much of this to-do list will be accomplished before Friday morning? All of it in some shape or form. It helps out tremendously that Shane can drive. And, I'm counting on a couple of good post-chemo days to get this all done. As much of it as possible tomorrow, just in case Thursday is a bad day for me. I will not over do, and will pace myself. I promise.

Also, this will probably be the last post for several days -- once I'm in Indiana, I doubt I'll have great Internet access. And my parents will be visiting August 8-10. Shane has his wisdom teeth removed August 8. Things may not likely slow down until after my next chemo on August 11 -- look for an update sometime between now and then. Or soon thereafter.... I think life will be on a slower, even pace by then! :-)

1 comment:

Renee said...

Joan,

I wanted to let you know how much I have been inspired by your blog. I am "ReneeST" on tnbcfoundation.org, by the way.

I shared some of your entry about Peter walking on water in my blog . . .how you see the treatment and decision as the waves. That was awesome! It truly does help me in my TNBC journey to keep the mental picture of all of it being "waves" and the eyes on Christ.

Thank you for sharing your life with us!

Renee