Sunday, July 27, 2008

It Must Be Time for an Update.... :-)

I have heard from three friends this weekend (in person, via cell phone and by email) -- all three wanting to know how I am doing.... It seems I haven't been updating this blog, and people haven't seen me out and about. They're worried that means I'm not feeling well?

Actually, the good news, is that I have been feeling surprising well! I had my "big" chemo on Monday, and expected to feel badly by Friday. And, sure enough, Friday afternoon I did have some achiness in my legs, but I took Tylenol right away (which I didn't do the first time), and the pain was much, much more manageable. In fact, our family went up north this weekend and did some much needed work on the cottage. The weekend tired me out, but I was able to help with some of the light work, and felt like I was contributing. It seems that (1) my body has learned to deal with this chemo and/or (2) I've learned to treat it before it gets too far out of hand. Which ever it is, I am relieved!

In fairness to people who visit this blog, I promise to start updating it at least once a week. Whether I'm feeling good or bad. It is just kind of awkward at this point -- at the beginning of my treatment, things were changing so quickly, and the blog was a good way to keep people up to date. Now, my life is just kind of humming along, and it feels kind of vain to update this blog. It is all about me.... And, I realize that everyone reading this has something in his or her life that they could just as easily blog about. We all have something -- that is the reality of life. It is just that those of us with cancer have been give permission to be "in your face" about the ups and downs of our lives. So okay... I promise to update this blog often if you, as my friend/family, promise to share with me what you would like to blog about and why. Via email... via comments... over lunch! :-)

Here is a 60-second update on things at our house: Tyler had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday. He is doing fine now, but had a rough weekend, and is still on squishy foods! Joan had an echo cardiogram on Thursday. This is in anticipation of chemotherapy that I'll be starting after Labor Day. According to the technician, I have a very strong heart (even though she was not supposed to tell me that!). Joan's next chemo is on Tuesday. It is a one hour chemo, BUT, we recently found an article that strongly implies that this medication has been found to be insignificant in the treatment of breast cancer. The article was published by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, so it is not a quack article. If I had had this information before starting chemo, I think it is reasonable that we might not have ever started this medication. Hundred-thousand dollar question: will my oncologist back pedal and take me off the medication now?? Joan and family are traveling to Indiana on Friday to visit with Joan's family and to see Dr. Kathy Miller @ IUPUI Med Center on Wednesday. We'll be back the following Thursday. when Shane gets his wisdom teeth taken out on August 8.

No comments: