Sunday, July 20, 2008

2nd Round of Chemo on Monday

Some of you know that I was sick on Thursday -- I felt fine in the morning, but by the afternoon I had no energy and was running a fever. Any fever higher than 101 is always a worry with a chemotherapy patient because it can indicate an internal infection of some kind. My fever was 100.8, so I called my oncologist and he sent me to the hospital for a complete blood count (CBC).

Two hours later, good news.... all of my blood counts came back very high! That meant no internal infection, no need for an IV-antibiotic (or a hospital stay to have this done), and no delay in my chemotherapy schedule! I was so glad to have "just a virus!" Thanks to everyone who prayed while I was waiting for the CBC results -- I am sorry to have worried you, but I definitely appreciated having friends and family close by to turn to for support!

My hopes of having my hair "just thin out" have been dashed -- essentially all of my hair is gone now. Liam (my 8 year old) was a delighted a few days ago that he could pull my hair and end up with a handful. He thought that was just the funniest thing.... I wasn't nearly as amused.

Tomorrow is my second round of chemotherapy. It is a long session -- a 4 hour chemo. Paul is not able to go down with me, but we have many friends and family supporting us: Sue andVicki are riding down to Beaumont with me, Heidi is bringing our family a meal, and Paul's parents are coming to spend the day at the house with the boys. We also have meals for our family through the next couple of weeks, until we go to Indiana to visit with my family. I cannot say how much we appreciate the love and support of so many people! Whether meals, cards, or prayers -- each is special and each provides healing.

People have been asking about my chemo schedule, so I thought I'd post the dates of the chemos that are coming up:
  1. Monday, July 21: this is the 4-hour chemo (2 medications)
  2. Tuesday, July 29: a 1-hour chemo (one medication)
  3. Monday, August 11: a 4-hour chemo
  4. Tuesday, August 19: a 1-hour chemo
  5. Tuesday, September 2: a 4-hour chemo (last one)
  6. Wed/Thur? Sept 10 or 11: a 1-hour chemo (last one)
My understanding is that once these chemos are finished, that I'll start another round (new medicines) about two weeks afterward.

For now, I have an idea of how this "cycle" of chemo affects me. And, I've learned that I'll not call the doctor quite so quickly -- I'll still be careful and pay attention to fevers and symptoms, but maybe let them ride out a little longer before calling the doctor. And, I'll need to be more diligent about avoiding public places that might expose me to viruses or illness. A bummer, because I enjoy being out and about. Guess God has a quieter game plan in mind?

No comments: