Tuesday, September 2, 2008

We're Home

We are home. It was a long day -- Paul and I got the boys off to school, and left for Beaumont at 9:00 a.m. We were home at 7:00 p.m. It was a long day, but today was my last big chemo. That is something to be thankful for!

This is an evening where I wish we had a guest room -- after this chemo I am tired and want to rest (in contrast to the short chemos where I am wired and wide awake), but I will not sleep well. I'll more like toss and turn, and worry about keeping Paul awake...

My doctor wants to put me on a drug called carboplatin after I am finished with this series of treatments. He wants me to do 4 rounds of the drug, spaced out every three weeks. Over the course of the next week, Paul and I will be researching this drug. Also, the American Society of Clinical Oncologists (ASCO) is having a meeting this weekend, and one afternoon is dedicated to triple negative BC. In fact, one of the topics is "The Best Chemotherapy for Triple Negative BC." It is perfect timing, God's timing. I'll be checking out that website over the weekend. Many of the presentations are put on-line after the fact.

A couple of days ago, my son Tyler commented that I do more than most people who do not have cancer. I repeated this today in my consultation with my oncologist. Without skipping a beat, he corrected me and said, "... had cancer. You don't have cancer; you had cancer." Something to keep reminding myself of each day....

All three boys had a good start to school. We still are not on track for getting to bed early, but this morning went fine. Little steps....

No comments: