Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Quick Update

Monday (9/22) I had my first Carboplatin chemotherapy. It was quicker than I had expected -- took only about an hour and a half. That is nice, because I was expecting the infusion to last about 3 hours. The only new thing about Carbo is that is very hard on the kidneys. I'm to drink as much water as I possibly can, and avoid caffeine or sodium. I felt pretty good since the infusion, except yesterday I felt feverish and by evening I was completely worn out. Today I am starting to bounce back, but I'm still not 100%.

Kim drove down with me -- it was nice to have her along for company. We used to get together a lot when Liam and Ethan were toddlers, but we have gotten out of that habit. Life has gotten busy, you know? We had lots of talk time on the way down and back, and she is an avid reader so she was content to wait around for me with doctors appointments. Thanks, Kim!

My oncologist was in a talkative mood.... we discussed exercise (yes, I can do that now) and weight loss (no, not yet). I told him about a vaccine trial that I found for triple negative breast cancer. The doctor in charge of that trial is trying to get funding, and said to call back the first of 2009. My doctor said that vaccine trials are the way to go -- vaccines will either be a big hit (good news!) or totally benign. The medical community just will not know until the they test them. He said he'll call this doctor around January to touch base and discuss my eligibility for the vaccine.

I have to have a mammogram in October. That makes me nervous.

The plastic surgeon was pleased with the amount of healing he saw since my last visit. "Packing" the wound instead of dressing it seems to help.

Life around our home is busier... Shane has started league hockey (about 3x per week) and also has practice for high school hockey two nights a week after school. Tyler has started swimming with Dolphins to prepare for the high school swim team. I'm glad for both of them to be involved, but it means I am at the high school 2, sometimes 3, times each day. Neither of the boys say they know anyone to carpool with. Shane has been pushing for his license and a car. This might be the time to start seriously thinking about that?

No comments: