Sunday, August 24, 2008

Komen's 3-Day Walk

I have a friend from the library, Brandi, who is walking in the Komen's 3-Day Walk for breast cancer, September 26-28. Brandi is walking with her aunt and her mother. They'll walk 15-22 miles for three days (60 miles total), and will sleep in tents each night.

This is a fund raising event for Susan G. Komen for the Cure (85% of monies raised is used for breast cancer research, etc.). Fifteen percent of the money goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund to provide endowment funds for research.

The 3-day walk is legendary.... I've seen books dedicated to the race, and have read only encouraging, inspiring things about it.

Today I received an email from Brandi which ended with the following: Just to let you know, my walk team is having t-shirts made up and on one of the days for the walk we will wear them. They will say "I am walking for her - Joan Grady"....

I am beyond touched by this. To say "Thank You," seems so inadequate.

Brandi is still collecting funds for her walk -- each person has to raise $2,200 to participate in the race. If you would like to support Brandi's walk, her website is here. I know that we both say "Thank you!"



No comments: