Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Some days merit special recognition -- holidays and birthdays, and today is our 18th wedding anniversary!

We plan to celebrate at home -- we have a curry chicken recipe that we enjoy but our kids will not touch! So it is a special dinner when we get to have it. I do the prep work and Paul does the cooking; a true joint effort. And for tonight, I'm also making a curried carrot soup. It is a recipe that Paul has wanted to try for a long time, and I figure it must be loaded with antioxidants. A win-win situation for us both!

As luck would have it, the two older boys are at a youth all-nighter tonight. Liam will be home, but I kind of like the idea of having him hang out with us. One of my favorite anniversary memories is being at dinner in Frankfort, MI with Paul and the two older boys -- it was just one of those memorable nights when everyone was in a good mood and all was well with the world. It sounds corny, but we talked and laughed and had a great time. I actually remember sitting in the restaurant thinking to myself, "It just doesn't get any better than this." I am very thankful to God for moments like those! They keep me going....

Tomorrow is another chemo day for me -- a short one. I have pointed questions for my oncologist -- I would like him to do some very specific tests on my pathology slides to (possibly) help us pin point chemos that will be most beneficial for me. I don't know how open he will be to doing some of the tests I want? They are not "standard" for breast cancer. He has been very supportive thus far, so I am hopeful for a good conversation.

I'm also a bit nervous about tomorrow because I'll be driving down by myself. The chemo does not bother me -- this one is an easy treatment. But navigating my way to my sister-in-law's house to drop off Liam, and then from her house to the hospital is another story. Years ago, Paul nicknamed me Magellan, but not because of my keen sense of direction! (smile). But, I choose to see it as yet another challenge to be met... That's the interesting part of having had something like cancer -- you tend to thrive on little challenges like this.

For now, my focus is on enjoying tonight. It is an appropriate night for one of my favorite Bible verses: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34). Amen, and amen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Here's to many more!