Friday, June 27, 2008

In for a Rougher Ride?

My oncologist called tonight to give me the results of my pathology report. (That's never a very good sign.)

My path slides were actually sent to Harvard instead of MD Anderson. I don't know why, and I don't really care why -- both are very reputable hospitals.

At any rate, Harvard confirmed that I have more invasive cancer than previously thought... My oncologist will talk to me about treatment options on Monday and start treatment then too. I think he wanted to confirm the information with me, give me a chance to digest it over the weekend and then talk "shop" more easily on Monday. I was expecting to start some form of chemotherapy on Monday anyway -- now it might be harsher drugs and/or for a longer treatment period? I really don't know.

Prognosis-wise, this doesn't really change anything. It is concerning that the cancer is as fast growing as it has been. It has been a very sneaky cancer.

But, the doctors consistently think that this is cancer that was there before -- that it was not mature enough to respond to the chemotherapy, and (since it was no where close to my lumpectomy site) it was not removed surgically. If I could go back, I would definitely choose a different treatment option, but I am different person now, too. Much more informed, much stronger. I wasn't ready for a mastectomy 2 years ago. Such is life.

So now what?

Philippians 4:8 says: Finally dear brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
What I know to be true is that (1) cancer has NOT been found anywhere else in my body besides the breast; that is excellent news! (2) I have a good relationship with my medical team and confidence in them. When they need more information, they do things like send my slides to other hospitals. They're aggressive in treatment, willing to answer questions, and to make Friday evening phone calls. I'm blessed. (3) Finally, God is in control of my situation. I might not like the ride that I'm on, but He's with me and watching over me.

All of these things are true. I will choose to think on them, and I will get through this. It will just be a little more work than we had initially thought...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joan
It is so nice to read your progress on the blog. As you said, be strong and ride the waves and let God take care of the journey. You are in my prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Sudi