Friday, June 27, 2008

Diet Coke and Jell-O

Tuesday (6/24) I had my first Zometa treatment. This is a bone building treatment that has shown promise in reducing the spread of cancer to the bone. My doctor suggested this is a pro-active course of treatment -- my body scans have all been clean -- this medication is another tool to help ensure that my body is strong and resistant to the spread of cancer.

The Zometa is given by IV drip, and everything went like clock work. The nurse found a vein on the first try (something difficult to do with me), and the infusion took about 30 minutes. I was in and out of the office within an hour -- very efficient in terms of doctor visits! Afterwards, I felt fine -- Liam and I went to the library for a bit, we had dinner and then we went to see The Incredible Hulk (Paul was golfing; older boys were away on their mission trip).

But, oh my... about midnight on Tuesday my body really revolted against the Zometa -- I had fever, body aches and general aches all through my body. For the first time ever on chemo, I was sick enough to throw up... It was not pretty... The only food that sounded even remotely good was Diet Coke or Jell-O. I'll be talking to my doctor about this experience -- to see if I can get any meds with the Zometa to help me tolerate it better next time. Even today (Friday) I still have achi-ness in my legs...

Monday Paul and I see my oncologist in Royal Oak -- that is when I hope to get the information back from MD Anderson and to find out for sure about my chemotherapy treatments. I am anticipating 4 treatments over the next 12 weeks. I'll know for sure on Monday.

Shane and Tyler have called from Montana -- they assure us they are having a good time. Their work on the Habitat houses was finished Thursday, and Friday they are backpacking up into the Montana mountains for about 4 days.

Sunday Liam and Paul are going to a Detroit Tigers game with our brother-in-law and nephew. Liam loves anything that involves sports, and one of his favorite things to do is to pitch back and forth with us in our back yard. He is very excited for the game! It is a real treat that Scott had tickets to share with us like this!

No comments: