Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Quieter Home

Shane and Tyler left yesterday (Friday) for their church mission trip -- they and 16 others will be working on a Habitat for Humanity house in Bozeman, MT for one week. Afterward, most of the group is backpacking in the mountains nearby, where they'll sleep in tents and backpack day trails for 3-4 days. It is really a very special trip -- they're traveling to MT by Amtrak and chartered bus ( b/c of flooding). Road trip! They'll have the "mission" part of the trip by working on the HFH house. And will see a part of the country that neither of them has ever experienced. They'll be encouraged to have a daily devotion -- and how awesome will that be while in the mountains!?

I received a phone call Thursday evening that my doctor's orders for the Zometa (the bone building meds) have been sent to Midland -- Yea!! I should have called on Friday to schedule the infusion, but I put it off -- we went up north for the day and I wanted a "normal" day with the boys before they left for their trip. Now I'm kicking myself -- hopefully I will be able to get the Zometa (which can cause flu like symptoms, etc.) early in the week so I am "recovered" and able to get chemo on Monday, June 30. I didn't think about the scheduling issue of it all until late Friday evening. My bad.

My "latest and greatest" kick is to try to reduce my fat intake and (eventually) increase my exercise each day. "Studies have shown" that this combination is beneficial for reducing breast cancer recurrence, and possibly most so for women with triple negative BC, like I have. Trouble is, the recommended fat intake per day is only 33 grams. When I started with the idea, that sounded like a lot. But, today I started actually counting fat grams -- the butter alone on my breakfast toast and dinner corn-on-the cob added up to almost a third of what I'm supposed to have in a given day! I have some learning to do, that is for sure. Keeping a food journal (ugh!) will be helpful, but I have to confess -- after I realized tonight how pitifully I had blown my goal, I drowned my sorrows in a bowl of ice cream. Tomorrow is another day...

No comments: