Tuesday, November 11, 2008

For My Friend, Kim R.

I had my chemo yesterday (Carboplatin). He gave me a reduced-dose, and said I should get a blood count mid-week, next week. If that looks good, then we can assume that my health problems last month were not due to the chemotherapy. Otherwise, we have to rethink the current chemo plan. Time will tell.

Yesterday I was reading Lynn Eib's When God and Cancer Meet. I cheated and went to the last chapter, where she describes her point of view about living now as a cancer survior. Her comments about chemo therapy appointments hit me "right where I was" in the moment. And today, I read a blog of sister triple-negtive BC patient (Kim) who is feeling the same way. So, if you're reading this Kim, I've included Ms. Eib's comments here -- I hope they are helpful to you as they were to me:

"I believe getting through treatments is a lot like athletic training. I started jogging the summer of 1998.... I was 44 at the time, and had never jogged in my adult life... I am not a morning person, but I got up at 6:30 every other day and ran two miles.... I don't really like running; the only part that feels good is when I stop... All along the way I have to talk myself into not quitting. See that telephone pole up there? You can make it, I say. You've done this before, you can do it again. Remember you get tomorrow off; you don't have to do this again right away.

It's the same way I talked myself into going in for a chemo treatment every week for six months: You've done this before; you can do it again.... Remember, afterward you have six days off... Forget about all the times still to come... Don't look at the big hill... Just focus on what you're doing right now.

As long as I kept my mind in the present, focused on that goal, I had peace." pp 175-175, When God and Cancer Meet, by Lynn Eib.

So Kim, if you're reading this -- hang in there until January 27! You will get through this, and I will get through mine. We're not super women. We're not stronger than anyone else. We've just been challenged with cancer, so we've had to learn how to be strong. How to persevere. With God's help, we both will get through this and be better, stronger women for it!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2-3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See there are advantages for not being able to sleep - I was so tired after my taxol that I thought I could see all night. I like that outlook!! What gives me the greatest comfort is finding support like yours. Thanks.
Sending you a big virtual hug - kim