Monday, December 15, 2008

I Forget How "Un-Normal" Cancer Treatment Is

I suppose I should begin this post with an apology....

The idea of getting a blood transfusion is so "normal" to me, that I didn't realize people would be so concerned about me during and/or afterward. I should have posted an "I'm alright" update after the transfusion on Friday, but I am a "no news is good news" kind of gal. Many people have asked how I am doing (probably many more wonder but are too shy to ask), so I apologize now for not giving a quicker update!

The transfusion itself went fine. It was done as an out-patient procedure at the Infusion Center at the Midland hospital. The only complaint that I have about the process is that I was there from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.. The transfusion itself only took about 4 hours -- most of the other time was spent waiting...

The Infusion Center is set up so that each person has their own private area (separated by curtains) for treatment. Each chair faces a serene, wooded area (very pretty with the new snow), and each chair also has a portable television for your viewing pleasure. This is all wonderful when you are getting treatment. The downside is that your back is always to the nursing staff, so you have to work to make eye contact and to get their attention to remind them that you are still waiting for treatment. I didn't mind the waiting in the morning, but as afternoon drew near (and I had commitments with my kids), then I became more impatient.

The infusion did make me feel better. Not immediately, but today (Monday) I can tell a difference. I can climb a single flight of stairs without feeling like my heart will pound out of my chest. Generally speaking, I feel more energetic and more like myself.

My next blood draw will be this Thursday, December 18. I am hopeful the blood numbers will reflect how much better I am feeling.

I also want to clarify that a problem with my blood (i.e. leukemia or the like) is a possibility, not a given. Again an apology if I scared with you with that bit of news....

It is something I mentioned for prayer support, but I have not been diagnosed with anything new.

My Beaumont doctor does not think I have a blood problem, and his opinion is very reassuring. His observation is that my body has had to put energy into rebuilding my platelet count (which is normal now and, according to him, is the most important component of blood health) such that I have not had the energy to rebuild the red and white blood cells (which, he says, always take longer to return to normal).

So, I am "realistically worried" -- not moping about it day to day, but definitely will feel better in the next few months to see my blood levels return and stay at normal range.

The New Year is approaching and I will be GLAD to say good-bye to 2008. It has had its good moments (a family trip to Orlando, Shane/Tyler going to Montana with church), but overall it has been a stressful, worrisome year. Here is to looking forward to a much more healthy and peaceful 2009!

No comments: