Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday's Update

More blood work today... Platelets (responsible for blood clotting) have doubled from 24K to 48K. The normal range is 140-400, but they are moving in the right direction (without a transfusion) so that is good.

My white blood cell count has remained low all week at 1.6; the normal range is 4.1-10.9. Doctor wants me to avoid crowds as much as possible.

I added a new doctor to my care today -- Dr. Maksoud in Midland. He is an oncologist, and has already had conversations with my Beaumont doctor. Between the two, my care can be more easily managed in Midland. I will still see my Beaumont doctor as my primary cancer physician, but if something unexpected happens (like the infection I had in October), it will be much easier to manage it with two doctors who speak the same med-language.

All of my treatment is finished for this cancer. The plan for now is a "wait and watch," via bone scans, CAT scans, etc. I'll have these about every 3-6 months. It is time to move on with my life -- out of the treatment phase to the survivor phase.

Many people have talked about celebrating this... It is a milestone, and I do want to acknowledge it. But, I read a book that likened being a cancer survivor to the character PigPen from Charlie Brown -- for a long time afterward, you always feel like a cloud is over your head.

Here's to clear skies!

No comments: