Thursday, October 2, 2008

Another curve ball

After reading my most recent post, my sister-in-law telephoned me and made me promise to call my doctors right away. This was last night (Wednesday), and I needed her phone call because I knew I had a real problem but I just didn't want to deal with it... (Ignore it, it might go away, right? Wrong.).

So, I called my plastic surgeon first because the bulk of my problem was related to the spacer/implant he has put in. He was unimpressed with my symptoms, and said to keep taking the oral antibiotics he had prescribed. He also said to keep my oncologist in the loop, so I called him next.

My oncologist was also unimpressed with the fever, but as soon as I mentioned the breast pain/tenderness, his whole demeanor changed. He said I was to go to the ER in Midland asap, have the attending doctor call him, and he would order IV antibiotics. Long story short, Paul and I were at the hospital from about 9:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m.

This morning I feel better, so I know the emotional upheaval of last night was worth it. Now, I'm looking at 4-5 more days of IV antibiotics, hopefully to be given in our home through the Visiting Nurses. They say they can do this, and I have to believe it will be cheaper and more convenient than a lengthy hospital stay. I still have a few phone calls outstanding; things are still subject to change.

The big question is whether the implant is infected and needs to come out (not a good option!), or if the antibiotics can work their magic and kick any infection that is there. If you're the praying type, please pray for the latter! :-)

A big hug to Karen for her push to call the doctor last night... It was a hard phone call to make because I pretty much could guess the outcome (hospital, IVs, etc), but it was also one that made a big difference in how I'm feeling today. And hopefully, in how effectively this infection will be cured!

I have no doubt that if Karen had not called last night that I would have done nothing last night, and would be home today feeling lousy and trying to "wish away" this problem...

No comments: