Monday, June 1, 2009

A Surreal Day....

This morning I was a normal mom...

... and I went to work at the library.

Afterward, I went to the hospital to have my medi-port flushed -- something I have to do every 4-6 weeks to keep the tubing from being clogged....

... and then, I had my pelvic ultrasound. "Invasive" is the only description I'll give. Now or ever....

Afterward, I went home to make dinner, drive to Liam's baseball game, and then to church for a meeting.

How surreal is my life that cancer and its treatments just network their way into my daily routine? As routinely as some people go to the grocery store, I go to the hospital. This existence is true for everyone who has a chronic illness, but it is especially unsettling to me. Friends and family consider my cancer treatment to be over; they have moved on and believe that I can/have, too. But, cancer is a shadow over most of my days. Some days emotionally or mentally. Today, physically.

The ultrasound was more unnerving today than I had anticipated. The technician was all business, and gave no impression one way or the other about what she saw. Even bad news would have been reassuring -- the not knowing is very hard.

I will not write about what I think the outcome will be, or how I feel physically (and hence, imply what the outcome will be). I've learned that a cancer diagnosis is not dependent upon how a person feels or looks. That is partly why it is such a sneaky, despicable disease -- it preys upon people in the fullness of their life.

No, you will just have to wait for the results, as will I. Hope and pray that they are conclusively benign. A cancer decision would be devastating. An inconclusive result will mean more tests, more time, and more worry.

When people talk about "fighting" cancer, I believe they are talking about the folks who have gone through the disease multiple times or who are incurable. I don't mean any disrespect to the "one timers" of cancer, but that can honestly be an easy fight. The treatment is terrible, but if the outcome is certain and binding, the ordeal for the person is over.

But to address the disease multiple times... or to know that it will ultimately be the reason you die, prematurely... Well, that is where the fight is most necessary. It is a physical fight because the disease drains of you energy and the treatment takes whatever is left over. And it is an emotional fight because it just mentally punches you and beats you down over and over and over and over again.... It does not fight fair. It is hard to have to have energy to even care to fight the disease.

It always seems to win, so why try?

But we must try, or not go on. That is where the support of family and friends and faith become so important. When we cannot go on... cannot endure another test or another treatment... do not care anymore whether we "beat" the disease or not....

That is when we need family and friends and faith to care for us. To fight for us. To encourage us and lift us up. To care when we are physically and emotionally spent, and no longer give a damn. That is the point at which a cancer patient must "fight."

God willing, my test results will be benign. Only time will tell...

6 comments:

krisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.