Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Small Bump in the Road

It has been a while since I posted.... It is odd because I created this blog to keep friends and family updated on my treatment. For the most part, that is over and so I have not been posting updates. But we've had a small bump in the road -- my infection is back.

Earlier this month my oncologist said he was not as worried about the cancer as he was about the infection "coming back." He warned me what to watch for, and sure enough, on the day that I was to see another doctor anyway, I had just the symptoms we discussed. After a culture of the wound, it was confirmed that the infection is back.

Yesterday I drove to Detroit to see my infectious disease doctor. She is convinced that the infection is localized to the wound, that it never really all went away, but that oral antibiotics are sufficient to treat it. If the wound heals completely, then we know the infection is gone. If not, the next course of treatment would be to surgically remove tissue from the wound, in hopes of getting all the infection. (Sounds oddly close to cancer treatment, if you ask me).

I have to watch for fever and/or chills. That is a sign that the bacteria is on the move and that more urgent treatment is needed (think Emergency Room). I've been feeling fine, so I am not worried. My immune system is stronger than in October, and my doc has a plan of attack. God willing, this stupid wound will heal, stay healed, and I'll be back on track to good health.

No comments: